Whether you are in need of an upgrade from your less-spacious fish tank, or you want to hold a larger aquarium for a variety of different aquatic-life, a 50-gallon aquarium could be an excellent choice for you.
When it comes to sizing, it is important to choose the appropriate size tank to meet the requirements for what you want to use it for. Therefore, the 50-gallon tank is a perfect medium between pretty small and too big.
So you’ve decided a 50-gallon tank might be for you, but what now? Well, the next step is to compare different 50-gallon tanks to determine what factors are important to you and how to find the tank that best suits your needs. Here is a top 10 list of the best 50-gallon aquariums.
50 Gallon Aquariums Reviews
The all-glass standard aquarium is a perfect basic tank that is both durable and affordable. It prides itself on being able to stand up to almost any application since it is made to resist glass bowing. Also, it features one-piece center-braced frames.
It comes in both black and oak trim styles. The shape is long and rectangular, rather than square and wide, making it easy to place within your home. The simplicity of the tank makes it easy to store and much more durable.
It is very easy to clean and maintain. It comes in numerous sizing, up to 50 gallons. The pricing differs based on where you buy it.
- Simple to place in home
- Different trim styles
- Glass bowing resistance
- Quality of glass is questionable
- Low price could mean for shorter longevity
This aquarium is made out of acrylic rather than glass. Acrylic allows aquatic life to not only look better but be safer. Acrylic is a better material because it is safer and stronger than glass. This tank will allow your fish to appear as clear and vibrant as possible.
This tank comes with built-in filtration, so you won’t need to buy excess products to accommodate your aquatic life. Also, it is on the lighter-weight side, so it comes with more flexibility in what you put underneath it to hold it up.
The shape of the tank is a pentagon, hence the name. It provides a better view of your fish compared to other models of 50-gallon tanks. This is because the surface area of the tank is much larger than traditional rectangular or square tanks.
The aquarium is safe for all types of aquatic life including both freshwater and saltwater fish.
- Made from acrylic material
- Better view of aquatic life
- Built-in filtration
- Hard to place in home because of the tank’s shape
- Only comes in the color blue
This all-glass aquarium is made from high quality, thick glass which is very durable. It has a black backdrop which is perfect to see your fish against, making them seem more vibrant.
Features of this aquarium include that it is rimless, starfire glass, and a pre-drilled drain. An important thing to note is that the starfire glass does have a blue tint to it. Also, there is a built-in overflow. However, instead of in the corner, the overflow is placed in the back center of the tank giving it a unique look.
The thick glass is very clear and easy to clean. The quality of the tank is one of its highest selling points. The shape of the tank is almost a cube shape, with the dimensions being 24x24x20. This aquarium is most suitable for those who would like to house a large amount of fish with little space to actually do it.
- Thick, high-quality glass
- Black backdrop to make the fish stand out
- Pre-drilled drain
- Must buy all other parts needed separately
- Probably will have to upgrade eventually
This standard glass aquarium is made with high-quality, premium glass. It has industrial strength in order to compensate for lots of aquatic life and decor being placed in the tank.
As for aesthetics, this tank is a masterpiece. The diamond-polished edges provide a sleek look to the tank, making it shine from the other tank models. These edges are sealed together with aquarium silicone. This provides for the most strength possible.
If taken care of properly, this tank should last for a very long time given its high-quality material and structure. Although, it is fairly new and not tested frequently so that might be something to keep in mind.
This aquarium is ideal for numerous different kinds of freshwater and other aquatic life.
- High-quality glass
- Durable and long-lasting
- Stylistically a great design
- Fairly new and not tested enough
- Must be cleaned often
This tank definitely stands out from the rest. What makes it so different is its design. The aquarium is a vertical hexagon tower that sits either on the ground or on a sturdy surface. The surface area is quite larger than the other tanks, as you have almost a 360 view of the fish.
The material is made of acrylic so it is much stronger and safer than glass. Also, it gives the aquatic life much more of a vibrant look, whereas glass does not have that effect.
Accessories included with this model include a filter, lighting, plants, and a pump. Because they give you these items, it limits the number of excess supplies you would have to buy separately, which is definitely a plus.
It comes with a black acrylic base on both the bottom and top of the towering tank. The great thing about this tank is that it can be used in a confined space, as it only requires minimal floor space. Also, the fluorescent light illuminates the entire tank, which is another intriguing feature.
- Includes accessories such as a filter, lighting, plants, and a pump
- Made of acrylic material
- A better view of the aquatic life
- Requires minimal floor space
- Can be hard to clean
- Smaller space for the fish to be in
This aquarium is made out of acrylic which is both stronger and safer than glass. Acrylic material weighs about half as much as glass, so this a very lightweight tank for its size. Also, it comes with a built-in complete filtration system which is located in the back of the tank.
The filter is a wet/dry biological system, but it also filters mechanical and chemical media as well. It also includes space for a heater.
There is a full hood to go over the top of the tank. On the hood, it comes with fluorescent lighting to illuminate the tank and have a better view of the different aquatic life.
The shape of this tank is rectangular, so it will be able to fit easily onto a wall or in a corner of your home. Also, because the material is very lightweight, it can be installed on top of pretty much any sturdy surface without worries.
- Built-in filtration system
- Comes with a hood and lighting
- Easy to clean
- In some cases, leakage is possible
- Instructions are reported to be confusing
This aquarium is made of sturdy of glass which is made of high-quality material and very durable. The aquarium is made to house both marine and freshwater aquatic life.
It comes with black framing which helps prevent the back from distorting or bending. Also, it provides a great minimalistic design to the tank, making it a perfect piece to put in your home without it looking weird.
Features of this tank include a double hood and fluorescent lighting. The fluorescent lighting allows for an optimal view of the aquatic life in the tank as they will appear brighter and more vibrant. The lighting has a separate plug making it easy to turn the light on and off.
This tank is optimal for people who want a big tank to show off all of their different aquatic life, and also those who would like to own many different fish in one tank.
- High-quality glass
- Excellent longevity
- Easy access to turn lights on and off
- Quite heavy so you have to be careful as to what surface is supporting it
- Need to buy other necessary products separately
This aquarium is made out of glass. Its main feature includes its fluorescent lighting, which is made to mimic natural sunlight. The aquatic life will be illuminated perfectly with this light making for a much clearer and brighter view. The LED lighting is energy-efficient.
It comes with a built-in filtration system, so there is no need to buy a filter separately. The filter is pretty much silent, which is a huge benefit for a lot of buyers. It is very easy to change the cartridges in and out. Overall, the maintenance is easy for this tank.
Since the tank is made of glass, it is important that you have a sturdy enough surface to place the tank on. Glass is twice as heavy as acrylic, so you want to make sure what you are using as a supportive surface is strong enough to hold a heavy tank.
The package comes with a trial size TetraMin tropical flakes to feed your fish, and it also comes with a complimentary packed of AquaSafe water cleaner.
- Energy-efficient LED lighting
- Easy maintenance
- Comes with trial size fish flakes and water cleaner
- Quality of glass is unknown
- The tank is very heavy so a sturdy surface to place it on is necessary
This aquarium is cylinder-shaped providing a 360 view of the fish. It has a quality stainless steel trim and with high-quality acrylic. Like I have repeated before with other tanks, acrylic is the optimal option as far as materials go because it is much stronger and safer than glass. Also, it provides a much clearer and brighter view of aquatic life.
Along with the acrylic material, it also comes with an aquarium light. This is going to make it much easier and better to view your fish in the best view possible. With this mixture, the fish are going to look incredibly vibrant and lively.
The sleek design of this tank is a great piece for your home as it is aesthetically pleasing to the eye. It comes complete with both a stand and a canopy, so you will not have to buy those accessories separately if you would like them.
- Cylindrical model gives a 360 view
- Made out of acrylic material
- High-quality stainless steel trim
- Difficult to clean
- Unclear of durability or longevity
This minimalistic aquarium is made of thick and durable glass with silicone rimming. The main feature of this tank is the clear glass that allows for optimal viewing of your aquatic life. Because of the minimalistic design, the tank is very easy to clean.
This is definitely the simplest aquarium on this list, so it sadly does not come with any features. However, if you just need the tank and no extra accessories, this is the tank for you. It is made of high-quality glass and holds prevention against breaking or distorting.
The crystal clear glass is what really makes this tank satisfactory.
- High-quality, durable glass that is crystal clear
- Easy to clean
- Silicone rimming
- No extra features (no filtration system, no hood, etc.)
- The glass material will most likely be quite heavier than anything made of acrylic
Features of 50-Gallon Aquariums
Before buying your 50-gallon aquarium, there are some important considerations you need to factor into your decision. This will ensure that you pick the right choice and get the most of your tank.
- Material: Fish tanks are normally made from either two substances: glass or acrylic. The benefit of glass is that they are less likely to have discoloration over time and they are less likely to scratch. Acrylic aquariums are much lighter in weight, they have better visual clarity, and they are much sturdier.
- Filtration systems: Some tanks come with a built-in filtration system while others do not. Built-in filtration systems usually come with smaller sized tanks, but they can still be found with some larger sized ones. The benefit of a built-in filtration system is that you won’t need to buy one separately. However, sometimes the built-in filters that come with tanks are of lower quality.
- Shape: The most common tank shape among fish tank owners is a rectangular box-shaped tank. However, some other shapes include cubes, cylinders, and hexagons. The benefit of rectangular box-shaped tanks is that they are more compatible with other aquarium products like decorations, filters, and UV lights. The benefit of the other tank shapes is that they have an appealing visual edge to them that sets them apart from other tanks aesthetically.
Types of 50-Gallon Aquariums
- Community tank: Community tanks are the most popular tanks in larger sized aquariums. They consist of several different types of species all living together in one tank. These tanks usually hold a couple of plants. It is important that you choose fish that are able to swim peacefully beside other fish and coexist with one another.
- Species-only tank: A species-only tank is perfect for fish tank owners who are mostly interested in one type of fish. With this type of tank, there is only one species living in the water. This can be due to the owner only liking that one type of species, or that species can be aggressive and not able to coexist alongside other types of species.
- Planted aquarium: In this type of aquarium, plants are the main focus. Although there might be some type of fish being kept in the tank, the main focal point is the plants. A planted aquarium is meant to resemble a real-life aquatic environment that replicates underwater schemes.
- Paludarium tank: This type of tank holds 50% aquatic life and 50% aquatic plants. This type of tank also resembles a realistic underwater environment. Different variations of plants and aquatic life vary among fish tank owners and their preferences. There is usually less diversity among species than a community tank would have. However, with paludarium tanks, you often see different creatures such as snails, reptiles, and turtles.
How to Maintain A 50-Gallon Aquarium
With a larger sized aquarium, a powerful filtration system is absolutely necessary. Choosing a filter with a high flow rate is going to make sure there is an active current that reaches all of the water in your tank. If your filter is not powerful enough, it will not as good of a job at cleaning the tank.
A 50-gallon aquarium will actually need to be cleaned less frequently than a smaller tank would need to be cleaned. This is because in a larger tank, the bacteria and toxins have a larger space to disperse and will not be as harmful to the water.
On average, it is recommended that the tank water is changed approximately every two weeks. The amount of water that is changed out should be around 15%, although some fish tank owners change out a larger amount.
The number of fish also depends on how often you clean your aquarium. The larger the amount of fish that are being kept in the tank, the more often it will need to be cleaned. This is due to the increased amount of waste being produced by the fish. Also, it will depend on what type of fish you have. Some fish produce more waste than others. For example, betta fish usually produce less waste while goldfish tend to produce more waste.
It is very important to make sure your tank’s water is at a proper temperature. Maintaining the proper temperature of your tank is necessary in order to keep your aquatic life and plants healthy. This can be accomplished by purchasing an aquarium thermometer that monitors the temperature of your tank and alerts you when it is at a dangerous temperature.
FAQ’s for 50-Gallon Aquariums
What are some essential features that help maintain a 50-gallon tank?
One of the most important features is a filter which helps to clean the water in the tank. Another feature to have is a UV sterilizer which is a light which sends wavelengths that penetrates harmful toxins in the water. Also, choosing a proper gravel that suits the type of tank you have is something that is going to be essential in providing a healthy environment for your aquatic life.
How do I set up a 50-gallon tank?
Setting up a 50-gallon tank is relatively simple. First, it is important that you have a surface that is sturdy enough to hold the tank. Glass tanks will be heavier and acrylic tanks will be lighter in weight. After that, the tank should be able to be placed easily and filled with water, plants, and aquatic life.
What do I do if the tank cracks?
Tank cracks occasionally do happen, but they are fixable. Buying an aquarium sealant will easily solve this issue. An aquarium sealant effectively forms a bond over the crack that prevents any leakages from occurring. Most sealants come in clear color, so it will not impair the look of the tank.
Who should buy a 50-gallon tank?
People who want to keep lots of different species of fish and plants would benefit most from this size tank. This is because there is enough room to house fish and keep them in a healthy environment.
You may have been surprised by all of the differences between what seemingly seems like the same product. After reading this list, you will have learned all of the different types of aquariums that are available on the market currently.
Based on factors such as material (glass vs. acrylic), the shape of the tank, and its extra added features, you can make an educated decision on what 50-gallon aquarium best suits your needs as an aquatic life owner.